The Governor EVOO foodieMaria Blackburn
Celeriac steaks with sticky date and spiced lentils
These celeriac steaks make a deliciously healthy midweek meal.
Celeriac has become one of my favourite vegetables. Its subtle sweet, nutty flavour is best enjoyed by simply roasting it with a splash of our extra virgin olive oil. I have served these steaks on a bed of spiced, sticky lentils.
If you haven’t tried celeriac before do give it a try as it might surprise you.
1 celeriac peeled and cut into 4 thick slices
1 carrot, finely diced
1 red onion, finely diced
1 stick celery, finely diced
1 can of black or green lentils
2 tbsps finely chopped coriander
400ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp of the Governor Extra Virgin Olive oil
For the Paste
6 medjool dates
2 cloves garlic
1 inch of ginger, grated
2 tsps tamarind paste
1 tsp of baharat spice
1 tbsps the Governor EVOO
For the dressing
1 tbsp of pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsps of the Governor EVOO
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c, Gas mark 4
2. Brush the celeriac steaks with EVOO and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, sprinkle over a pinch of sea salt and roast in the oven for 1 hour turning them halfway.
3. Place all the ingredients for the paste into a small blender and blitz. Add in a little water to loosen.
4. Add 1 tbsp of EVOO into a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook until softened 15mins, you can add a little water to prevent sticking.
5. Stir in the paste, add in the rest of water and simmer for 5 mins. Add the lentils and warm through.
6. To make the dressing simply whisk all the ingredients together.
7. Serve the lentils topped with the celeriac steaks, sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds, coriander and drizzle over the dressing.